'https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); Rectangles: Through the Windshield, From home to work and back again

May 4, 2008

Through the Windshield, From home to work and back again

Well, here it is, my response to the Solo Photo Book Month (SoFoBoMo) challenge. Go to www.sofobomo.org to read more about it, the limitations and see the work of some of the other participants from around the globe. 

The basics were, take 35 or more pictures shot within a month, 30 days within April and May (a 'fuzzy' month) and create a publishable book. My original plan was a series on the Steel Bridge in Portland. I usually walk over the bridge most days at lunch. My work schedule in April prevented that but that same schedule still required me to be at work every day. 

I shot from the car on my drive to and from work. This is not my usual method of operation. I probably wouldn't have lived this long if it was. Normally I take a little more time and compose a little bit tighter so, right off a different experience. I'm also used to each picture standing on it's own. Here each picture has to fit in with the group, get along with it's close neighbors and flow to the next one. Like hanging a show but even more linear. Work I wouldn't have considered otherwise, a good stretch in a different direction and lots of fun.

My thanks to Paul Butzi for the enticing rational limitations of SoFoBoMo, Sarah for thinking out side of the car, my fellow commuters for not honking, saluting or slamming into me while I was shooting/driving and to the beautiful, interesting ever changing city of Portland Oregon. 
 Click on open publication and see the book larger (after a bit of a wait).

No comments:

Post a Comment